Columbus Wills and Trusts Lawyers

Muscogee County Estate Planning Attorneys

Estate planning involves more than drafting a will. At Day & Dodds LLC, our Georgia lawyers take a proactive approach to help you minimize gift, estate and death tax implications while also addressing minor children and disabled family members. We are committed to helping you achieve your goals by drafting, reviewing and revising appropriate directives.

Additionally, our Columbus wills and trusts attorneys provide guidance and representation for 12-month support. We can help you set aside part of your property to support your widow and minor children for one year. Twelve-month support is not automatic. If your spouse dies leaving substantial debts but little assets, we can help you receive a year of support.

Extensive Trust Guidance

Our attorneys have helped individuals with numerous trusts, including:

  • Charitable trusts
  • Living trusts
  • Testamentary trusts
  • Life insurance trusts
  • Special-needs trusts

Probate and Administration

In Georgia, wills and estates without wills must go through probate. Law also requires that if there is a will, it must be delivered to Probate Court. Our legal team handles the probate process from start to finish. We have decades of experience and understand the complicated probate process thoroughly.

If there isn't a will, we can administer the estate. We can identify assets and debts, contact creditors and provide support for administrators/executors to help them complete their duties properly.

When a will is challenged, we represent administrators to help resolve issues. We can consult with the attorney who drafted the will and discuss the steps he or she took to ensure the will was prepared and executed properly. Additionally, we provide guidance for guardianships.

Guardianship Advocates

We understand the emotional and financial hardships associated with guardianships for minors and incapacitated adults. When minors inherit substantial funds, the law requires that at least one parent be named conservator for the minor. Additionally, if a parent must leave for military duty or other reasons, the parent can authorize another family member to take temporary guardianship over minor children.

Adults who have longstanding illnesses that prevent them from making decisions about their health, well-being or property may need guardians to manage their affairs. We have helped establish guardianships for individuals with Down Syndrome or Alzheimer's and those who have suffered the effects of strokes and other brain injuries.

It is important to note that children receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits from the Social Security Administration could lose their benefits if they are bequeathed assets. Without a special-needs trust to set aside assets for them, they would be in violation of SSI regulations.

Contact Experienced Georgia Attorneys

We invite you to contact us today at 706-225-8025 about an in-office consultation. Our office is in the Bradley Park Drive area, off Whitesville Road. Free parking is available.